Should you install two strand twists/ mini twists on dry or wet hair?
Hello AfroQueens, hope your hair is growing and skin glowing. Welcome to my blog and be sure to keep it here for everything hair care. To my loyal ones & day ones welcome back.
Feel like your hair has been the same length forever, I’ve an Ebook that will help you grow your hair healthier, longer and thicker. Grab your copy here… Also, check out all the Ebooks,guides and journals that will go a long way in your hair care journey here.
“Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.”
There isn’t right or wrong way to install twists. The right way is which works best for you or rather meets your needs or expectations. Twists have been my go to protective style for the longest time because I can install them myself, easy to care for and they look cute.
To start off this post, let’s talk things to consider before choosing whether to install twists on wet or dry hair. What is your end goal? Tighter twists/ tight twist out curls, longer twists and looser curls? You should keep in mind how you want your twists or twist outs to turn out.
Also, if you’re intending on wearing twists as a protective style, make sure you prep your hair for that. By prep I mean wash, deep condition, detangle and moisturize before installing them.
- How to prep hair for protective style
- How to maintain protective style to achieve maximum growth and length retention
- Why protective styles are breaking/ damaging your hair
- Benefits of protective styles
Table of Contents
Should you install twists on dry or wet hair?
Personally, I install twists on wet hair when installing chunky twists because they hold better than on dry hair. Also note that when installing on wet hair, some parts of your hair may dry before twisting, you’ll need a spray bottle with water for the drying parts.
Twists installed on wet hair hold better, have tighter curls and shrink more than when installed on dry hair. If you’re looking for tight and popping curls and don’t mind the length of your twists or twist outs, this is your go to method.
The twists may take longer to dry, practice a little patience. How do you install twists on wet hair? After rinsing off the deep conditioner, apply your go to leave-in conditioner, oil/butter and a curling cream(optional) then twist your hair. Twisting rule; make sure the two sections you are twisting are equal. Don’t borrow from the other section unless you want a tangled twist out.
With dry hair, you get looser curls, longer twists and twist outs. By dry hair I mean moisturized dry hair where you moisturize your hair, install braids, use bands to stretch your hair as it dries, you can also use heat to dry and stretch.
The dry hair will be soft and moisturized making it easy to install twists. Make sure the sections you wanna twist are equal, don’t borrow. You can use curling cream for twists to hold and activate curls. When installing chunky twists consider braiding the base to avoid puffy roots.
Dry hair or Wet hair? What’s your pick?
- Dry hair will give you looser curls, the twists may unravel too.
- Wet hair will give the best curl definition and twists hold better. With wet hair, you will notice more shrinkage as the twists dry.
- Dry hair will give you more length
- Twists installed on wet hair lasts longer than those installed on dry hair.
- Also, the smaller the twists, the fuller your styles look. Mini twists may give you a fuller look than chunky twists.
- Try both and find out which works best for you.
If you didn’t know, I have guides and journals for y’all on our payhip store. Looking to create a routine, grow your hair longer and thicker, journals and beginner tips and guide? We got you, the guides are pocket friendly because we all deserve flourishing crowns. Pick the product you need in our store here.
Thank you for reading, share with everyone and support my blog here.
Twist related posts you might have missed.
- Best curling creams for bouncy, defined and popping curls.
- How to do and care for two strand twists
- How to safely take down two strand twist
- Mini twists length retention challenge
- How to nail a bomb twist out everytime
- Night routine for twist outs to keep the curls popping
- Benefits of two strand twists on Natural Hair.
- Twists without a puffy root.