How does your weekly routine for two strand Twists look like? Should you moisturize daily? How long should you keep the style? Two-strand twists are gorgeous and versatile low manipulation and protective hairstyle for natural hair.
Feel like your hair has been the same length forever, I’ve an Ebook that will help you grow your hair healthier, longer and thicker. Grab your copy here… Also, check out all the Ebooks,guides and journals that will go a long way in your hair care journey here.
If you’ve been here for a hot minute you know two strand Twists is my go to style and on this post we talk all about the it weekly routine to keep your twists healthy and lush. Before we get into weekly twists care routine, let’s start with installation process.
“Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.”
Table of Contents
How to install/ do two Strand twists.
Cleanse and condition your hair.
Start off with clean and conditioned hair especially if you intend on keeping the style for a couple of weeks. Use a sulfate-free shampoo or a clarifying shampoo if your hair has lots of dirt and product build up to thoroughly cleanse your hair, and follow up with a Moisturizing deep conditioner ,tgin Honey Miracle Hair Mask will leave your hair feeling moisturized and soft. If your hair needs some protein treatments, give it some Arvazallia Fortifying Protein Hair Mask. Ensure your hair is properly Detangled too, use a Detangler with a good slip to easily melt away the tangles
Best Sulphate free shampoos/ conditioning shampoos
- Design Essentials Honey Creme Moisture Retention Super Detangling Conditioning Shampoo
- Mielle Organics Pomegranate & Honey Moisturizing and Detangling Shampoo
- Creme of Nature Shampoo with Mango & Shea Butter, Ultra Moisturizing.
Clarifying shampoos to get rid of dirt and product build up
- Moroccanoil Clarifying Shampoo
- OUAI Detox Shampoo – Clarifying Shampoo for Build Up, Dirt, Oil, Product and Hard Water
Moisturize and seal.
After rinsing off the deep conditioner, use a leave-in conditioner to add moisture back into your hair, activate curl pattern and soften it. Follow up with an oil or butter to keep the moisture locked in. You can choose to dry and stretch your hair before twisting or twist when wet.
Dry stretched hair will give more length but less definition while wet hair will give you defined twist, twist outs but you’ll have to embrace the shrinkage.
Some of the best Leave-in conditioners for well moisturized hair.
- OKAY Black Jamaican Castor Oil Moisture Growth Leave In
- As I Am Leave In Conditioner
- tgin Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer
- Maui Moisture Heal & Hydrate + Shea Butter Hair Mask & Leave-In Conditioner
- Carol’s Daughter Goddess Strength Divine Strength Leave In Conditioner
Twist your hair.
To twist, section your hair into small, manageable sections and twist each section from root to tip, use Curling cream, for your twists to hold and for Defined twist outs. Don’t hold your twists too and if your roots gets puffy, this post is for you.
Best curl creams for twists and styles that need definition.
- tgin Twist and Define Cream
- Aunt Jackie’s Curl La La, Lightweight Curl Defining Custard
- Creme Of Nature, Curl Cream
- Taliah Waajid Curls Waves Natural – Curly Curl Cream
- African Pride Moisture Miracle Shea Butter & Flaxseed Oil Curling Cream
Twists Related posts.
- Should you wear twists on dry or wet hair?
- How to do and care for twists
- Ways to Moisturize twists
- How to safely take down two strand Twists
- Twists without puffy roots.
- Benefits of two strand twist
- Length retention challenge with mini twists
- Maintaining mini twists for 6 weeks
- All yoy need to know about mini twists
- Weekly routine for two strand twist
Weekly Routine for Two Strand Twists.
Re-moisturize your twists as needed depending on your porosity type and the products you’re using. You can use light weight leave-in conditioner, hair mists or DIY rosemary water to refresh your twists weekly, biweekly or every other day. Lately, I have been using DIY rosemary water and DIY rosemary infused oil to lock in the moisture then oil the scalp if it feels dry and follow up with a growth stimulating massage.
Perfect hydrating hair mists to refresh your two strand twists;
- Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist
- Maui Moisture Frizz-Free + Shea Butter Leave-in Conditioning Mist
- PATTERN Beauty by Tracee Ellis Ross Hydrating Mist
Protect your twists when sleeping.
Protect your twists at night as you would when wearing your hair out or when in any other style. Use a silk or satin scarf or bonnet to cover your hair, or use a satin pillowcase. This will help to prevent frizz and keep your twists smooth and defined.
Twists Evening Routine.
- Dry twists? You can choose to moisturize then wear your satin bonnet or use a scarf. If you only sleep on silk/ satin pillowcase without covering the hair, don’t re-moisturize.
- Another evening routine is to protect your hair when sleeping.
Twists Morning Routine.
- Re-moisturize if needed, style and go win Queen.
Thank you for reading, share with everyone and support my blog here.
Reminder; enjoy your styles, care for your hair, be patient and always pay attention to your hair needs.
I would love to know how your weekly routine looks like when your hair is in two strand Twists.