Is it possible to strengthen 4c hair and repair damage? Yes, it’s very much possible.
Feel like your hair has been the same length forever, I’ve an Ebook that will help you grow your hair healthier, longer and thicker. Grab your copy here… Also, check out all the Ebooks,guides and journals that will go a long way in your hair care journey here.
No one wants weak, dull, damaged and lifeless hair because it never looks good on anyone and it’s more likely to break and tangle unlike healthy hair. Hair damage is caused by daily hair care activities, environmental factors, products, chemicals, heat and so on.
- Major types of hair damage, how to prevent and repair them.
- Causes of hair damage you should know about
- Why your hair is always tangled
- Causes of hair breakage.
- How to stop excessive hair breakage.
- Difference between hair breakage and shed hair
“Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.”
Table of Contents
We will start of with major causes of weak hair, which practices and products that are weakening your hair.
All you should know about Strengthening weak 4C Hair
Causes of weak 4c natural hair
- Tightly held and installed styles. When installing a protective style or when styling your hair, don’t hold it too tight and be gentle when styling your hair.
- Harsh chemicals/ chemical processing. Chemicals used to bleach or color your hair may weaken your hair by breaking the protein bond on your cuticle and hair shaft.
- Excessive heat/ excessive heat usage. Heat is one of the major cause of weak hair. Use minimal heat, use it less often, lower the heat settings and use a heat protectant when using heat.
- Frequently cleansing your hair and/or using a clarifying shampoo. Daily hair cleansing dries your hair and scalp by stripping off the natural oils. Also, using clarifying shampoo often will dry off your hair. Use clarifying shampoos once in a while when you notice dirt and product build up on your hair and scalp.
- Overmanipulation and not being gentle with your hair especially when combing, brushing, detangling and so on. Avoid daily combing and brushing and be gentle with your hair always.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Medical conditions and treatments.
- Lack of vitamins and proteins in your diet as well as skipping deep conditioning with proten treatments.
The overall health of your hair depends on how well you care for your hair, daily hair care practices, the products you use and body health.
How to know if your hair is weak/ Signs of weak hair.
- Experiencing a lot of breakage and hair loss.
- Your hair looks dull and lifeless.
- Notice damaged, rugged and split ends.
- Hair feels rough and prone to frizz.
- Your hair tend to tangle a lot regardless of how well you detangle and moisturize.
- Hair starts thinning and looking limp.Hair doesn’t hold styles.
Related post; signs of healthy hair.
Now that you know what causes weak and how weak hair looks like, I bet you know whether your hair is weak or not. If your hair is weak, the following tips will help you strengthen your hair and say hello to healthy and thriving hair.
How to strengthen 4C hair.
Create a consistent hair care routine.
You already have a hair care routine? Well, evaluate it and tailor it to meet your current hair needs. Review the products you’ve been using and how often you used heat and whether you’ve been using the right product to color your hair.
Don’t have a hair care routine yet? You’ll need to create one. Check out my hair care routine on this post and read this post on begineer’s guide to haircare. You can also grab three ebooks to guide you in your hair care journey and a journal to document all that here.
Avoid/ Use less heat.
If possible, stay away from heat. There are heatless methods of stretching your hair, so it’s possible to not use heat. If you have or need to, use heat less frequently, lower the heat settings and use a protectant to prevent heat damage.
Shampooing frequently & using clarifying shampoos.
Cleansing daily or a few times a week isn’t advisable because this strips off the natural oils that condition and nourish your hair and scalp. Do weekly washes if you have to and minimize how often you use clarifying shampoos.
Clarifying shampoos are not bad at all but how often you use them and on which hair porosity type matters. Use clarifying shampoos on low porosity hair to get rid of product and dirt build up and after wearing a long term protective style. With high porosity hair, minimize how often you use clarifying shampoos.
Related post; hair porosity types and how to care for each.
Foods rich in proteins and protein treatments.
Add protein to your meals and use protein treatments to repair and reconstruct your hair. Our hair is made of protein bonds, keratin, which get broken by daily manipulation, heat and all the causes of weak hair mentioned above.
Related post; why protein treatments are important.
More tips on strengthening weak hair
- Avoid chemical treatments and products that have harsh ingredients.
- Choose the right and essential hair products.
- Stay hydrated and moisturize your hair properly and regularly.
- Massage your scalp when cleansing, moisturizing and oiling your hair. Scalp massages also stimulate hair growth.
- Take supplements and increase vitamin intake. Nourish your hair from the inside.
- Do hot oil treatments to strengthen the hair. Read on what they are, how to do them and what to use on this post.
- Replace towel drying with microfiber drying or using a T-shirt. Both are gentle on your hair.
- Protect your hair when sleeping with a satin bonnet, scarf or pillowcase.
That’s all for today’s post. I know you found it helpful. Share it with everyone who needs it, sharing is caring.
Thank you for reading, share with everyone and support my blog here.