I know you’ve heard scalp massages promote hair growth and thickness, but do they?
“Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.”
Hello ManEmbracers, I hope your hair is growing and skin glowing. Welcome to my blog and be sure to keep it here for everything hair care.
Scalp massages are similar to the usual body, back etc massages you get only that you have to be more gentle with your scalp. They are so relaxing and also beneficial to your hair and scalp.
Ever had a scalp massage before? No? Sis, you don’t know what you’re missing and I’m not hyping scalp massages, I do love them a lot mostly because of how relaxing they feel especially after a stressful day. Then do them right before bed, it’s heavenly.
Do scalp massages help with hair growth?
Well, a scientific research done in 2016 shows that they do really promote thickness and growth. The 9 men involved in the research were reported to have thicker hair after 24 weeks than at the start. The massages were done for 4 minutes daily.
The massages are said to increase the blood flow stimulating the hair follicles to produce growth of thicker hair. Wanna get into the science of the scalp and growth, read the science of black hair.
Other benefits of scalp massages
- Reduces stress and muscle tension.
- Condition the scalp preventing dry and itchy scalp and flakes.
- Increase blood flow to the hair follicles.
- Strengthen the roots of the hair and nourishes the hair shafts promoting new growth and strengthening the hair.
What you need for massages.
- Oil of choice (jojoba, rosemary, castor, olive, lavender etc)
- Applicator bottle
- Your Fingers or
- Scalp massager.
- Shower cap/ plastic cap
When and how to massage.
Catch up on the benefits of pre- poo and how to go about it here. Lately I’ve been using DIY rosemary infused oil.
- Put your oil choice in an applicator bottle and warm it up by placing it in a bowl with warm water like you would when doing hot oil treatment.
- Once warm, test it on the back of your so as to not burn your scalp.
- Apply the oil on your scalp and hair length and some on your fingers.
- Massage using your finger tips/ the balls of your fingers not your nails. You can also give the scalp massager a try, I haven’t tried it yet.
- Massage gently in a circular motion and once done put on the shower cap let it sit for a few minutes then proceed to wash your hair.
Massage your scalp after lathering your shampoo. This massage helps break down the dirt and the product build up leaving the scalp clean and fresh.
If you’ve a few minutes to spare daily, well you can give your scalp that relaxing, growth stimulating massage. If your hairline is receding, scalp massages will help regrow your edges. Catch up on a post on how to care and regrow your edges here.
Also, you can massage your scalp after moisturizing your hair and scalp. After applying your moisturizing products, give your scalp a massage for a couple of minutes.
I would love to know if you massage your scalp and how it has been beneficial to your hair and scalp.