Cornrows come in different styles, sizes and one thing about them is ; they always look good on kids. Cornrow hairstyles are easy to install and low maintenance protective styles.
Feel like your hair has been the same length forever, I’ve an Ebook that will help you grow your hair healthier, longer and thicker. Grab your copy here… Also, check out all the Ebooks,guides and journals that will go a long way in your hair care journey here. Check out my downloadable store for conversation/ question cards here.
For the lucky few who can install neat conrows, you can install these styles at the comfort of your home. If you aren’t good at cornrows like yours truly here, get a stylist to do it. Search for stylist in your area on Instagram or Google.
“Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.”
Table of Contents
Everything Cornrow Hairstyles for Kids
How to Prepare your Kid’s Hair for Cornrow Hairstyles.
Before wearing any long term protective style, make sure your hair is clean, deep conditioned and well moisturized. Also, install on tangle free hair.
Detangling and pre- poo.
Do a preshmpoo treatment before cleansing to minimizing the stripping effect of shampoos. Use oils, conditioners or preshampoo products to pre- poo. The best Pre-poo is one that does both detangling and pre-pooing.
Section the hair into 4-8 parts depending on thickness, length or how tangled the hair. Spritz water on the hair until it’s damp then apply the pre- poo product. If the product has a good slip, detangle the hair too. After applying all the sections, wear a shower cap or thermal cap and let it infuse in your hair for a couple of minutes.
Best pre-shampoo products that are amazing detanglers too;
- African Pride Moisture Miracle Aloe & Coconut Water Pre-Shampoo
- Carol’s Daughter Goddess Strength Ultra Shield Pre Poo Hair Treatment
- Dr. Miracle’s Strong & Healthy Detangling Pre-Shampoo Treatment.
Perfect detanglers for kids;
- So Cozy Curl Leave In Conditioner Spray – Kids Hair Detangler Spray
- Sheamoisture Kids Extra Moisturizing Detangler
- Cantu Care for Kids Paraben & Sulfate-Free Conditioning Detangler with Shea Butter
Related post; The Ultimate Detangling Guide
Next step is to cleanse your hair and scalp to get rid of all the dirt and sweat. Before applying shampoo, ensure the hair is sopping wet. Use the pads of your fingers or a scalp massager to break down the dirt and products then thoroughly rinse off the shampoo.
Best shampoos for kids.
Apply your go to moisturizing deep conditioner and protein treatments(if your kid’s hair needs it or if you always use or intend to use heat before styling.) Deep conditioners repair damage, deep moisturizes, restores elasticity and strengthen the hair minimizing breakage.
After applying the deep conditioner, put on a shower cap and wrap a warm towel to help infuse the deep conditioning nutrients. Let it sit for a couple of minutes/ as instructed then thoroughly rinse it off. You don’t want build up from the deep conditioner, it causes itchy scalp.
Best deep conditioners for kids;
- CurlyKids Curly Deep Hair Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Baby Deep Conditioner Manuka Honey & Lavender for Delicate Hair
Always style or wear any protective style on already moisturized hair. Moisturized hair is easy to style, it’s soft and manageable. Use a lightweight leave-in conditioner on fine hair and a creamy, thicker leave-in conditioner on thick and coarse hair. Lastly seal in the moisture with moisture sealants, either an oil or butter.
Best Leave-in conditioners for kids
- So Cozy Curl Leave In Conditioner Spray
- Cantu Care for Kids Leave-In Conditioner
- CARA B Naturally Leave-In Conditioner and Daily Moisturizer For Babies and Kid
If you intend to use heat or rather hot tools to stretch the hair, be sure to use a heat protectant to protect against heat damage.
How to care for Cornrow Hairstyles
Moisturize as you would when wearing your hair out or as needed. Protective styles retain moisture more than when wearing the hair out. Use moisturizing hair mists for moisturizing or lightweight leave-in conditioners to avoid build up then seal with a light oil.
Moisturizing hair mists for protective styles;
- CARA B Naturally Moisturizing Hair Mist For Kids
- African Pride Dream Kids Olive Miracle Moisturizing Braid Spray
- Taliah Waajid for Children Tangles Out Today Leave-in Conditioner
Always protective the hair when sleeping by wearing a satin or silk hair bonnets.
Satin bonnets for kids;
- YANIBEST 2 PCS Baby Bonnet Toddler Silk Bonnet for Kids
- 4 PCS Kids Satin Bonnet Child Sleeping Cap
- 2pcs Pack Pink Small Baby Bonnet